Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Back from Washington D.C.

While we visited my son in Annapolis, MD we took the Metro into D.C. I’ve been there before but didn’t get to see the Smithsonian, the Metro dropped us off very close to it and this is Chris and Sydney walking towards it. Warning a lot of pictures!002

001
Right when you went in they had tables set up about the Queen of England.
003
Why did I want to go to the Smithsonian? Because I really wanted to see Archie Bunker’s chair, that’s right I did! lol You can see a little of Fonzie’s leather jacket too!
006
Jefferson’s Bible, as you can see everything is enclosed. In some parts you weren’t allowed to take pictures.
005
004
I guess this is one of the first computers, Sydney didn’t know what a Walkman’s was… I didn’t get a picture of it.
008
Sorry this is blurred but this is a picture of parts of the Twin Towers.
010
The original Superman outfit!
024
I’m sure this is the original Kermet the Frog too.
007
I so enjoyed this one, I remember Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit also the Mickey Mouse Club, I was never to thrilled with Howdy Doody though so I don’t remember to much of him. When I told Sydney that this is what I watched on TV when I was little she just gave me a strange look .lol I guess a puppet and a moose and something named bunny rabbit might seem odd to kids today huh?
023
Michele Obama’s Inaugural gown, it was beautiful!
017
The bottom of the gown and the jewelry she wore, you can see a little of the shoes too at the bottom of the picture.
018
Other First Lady gowns, wish I would have wrote down who’s was who’s!
016
015
One thing I noticed while viewing the gowns was that women were much smaller back then, I know they wore corsets and all but they weren’t very tall either.
020
Out fit that my dad probably wore in the Navy on ship minus the stripes of course!
009
They had a lot to do for kids there too!
022
012
While standing behind the President’s podium they could see what they looked like on TV, I thought it was neat!
014
I have more to show of course but I’ll do that another time. We had a lot of fun, I’m thinking we were in there about 3 hours and still didn’t get to see everything, so I’ll leave you with this one when we were outside.
This is about as close as we got to the White House, police had everything blocked so we stood in a field to take this picture. You can see some police in the white shirts in the background.
040
It is amazing though! They play baseball here, I can’t imagine playing and seeing the White House too.lol

I hope you enjoyed my little trip, if you ever get the chance go, it is so worth it!
Thanks for stopping by, it’s summer for all of us so I’ll try and post when I can!
039

Rondell

6 comments:

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I love D.C.! Those inaugural gowns are gorgeous. Did you see the house that was cut in half?
Looks like a fun trip!

Kristen Whitby said...

What a fun trip! I loved the first ladies' dresses when I went there too... that, and Mr. Rogers' sweater! I went when I was in college- pre9/11, so i got to tour the White house. It is sad that people can't do that anymore~ Glad you had such a great trip!

Kelly said...

What a fun trip! I've never been to Washington, DC. It's such a big part of American History. I would've loved going to the Smithsonian! To see everything in person like that would feel surreal. Thanks for sharing these great pics!

Ricki Treleaven said...

I am so happy y'all had such a great time in our nation's capital! :D I could spend months in the Smithsonian! Thanks for the mini tour!

xo,
RJ

Debbie said...

I've never been to DC. Looks like an interesting trip. The dresses were beautiful! I'm sure you are seeing lots of other neat things too LOL.
Have fun with your family, Rondell.
xxoo

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I definitely want to make that trip one of these days. Your pics are great. The gowns were so gorgeous.

Sadly, according to an article I read recently, women are getting bigger. Just what we need, right....lol!